Wednesday 12 June 2013

Karabo’s big break into Forbes Africa Magazine


“Hardworking, dedicated, winner,” are the words that describe me, says Karabo Ngoepe. It is rare that one gets a job offer to report for Forbes Africa Magazine while they are expecting an interview. After hearing his story of success I decided to get hold of Ngoepe and hear from the horse’s mouth.

New Forbes Africa Magazine
reporter Karabo Ngoepe.    
He began his story by telling me how exited he is about the new job after spending three years reporting for Pretoria News. “I love the new job; it’s totally a different environment. I’m challenging myself to see where I want to go with my career. I have been in the free room to explore all avenues available in journalism. I do sports, economics and a bit of politics, I’m enjoying the ride.”

It is often said that we all need to start somewhere and surely Ngoepe had to start somewhere. He says his passion for news started when he was at the tender age.
“I guess it all started when I was in grade 10 or 11. I never loved school, I used to bunk most of my classes except for English and Geography. My English teacher saw the keen interest I had in the two subjects and she said I must try it out. As I did my research, I fell in love with it (Journalism) and decided that it is what I will do for the rest of my life and here I am and loving every moment of it.”

After his mother who worked as a domestic worker lost her job while he was in grade 9 attending at Hoerskool Pretoria-Wes, he had to move back where he grew up in Soshanguve.
This new Forbes Africa reporter says things got difficult as he ended up looking for alternative ways to make money.

“To make some money for myself, I started taking pictures at school just to have transport and spending money. That small business pulled me through until I matriculated. With that in mind, I can safely say my childhood was a bit rough but it groomed me into what I am today,” he recalls.   

After hearing his childhood story, I was inspired by the bravery of this 23 year old. Determined to fulfil his dreams and change the situation at home, Karabo enrolled at Tshwane University of Technology for the National Diploma in Journalism after he matriculated in 2007.

“I felt (going to university) was the only way I could change my situation and better the state of my family. I was determined to reverse and change some of the things that were seen as a norm in the community. People would finish school but just stay at home gambling on the corners or try to find odd jobs to keep busy but I did not want to do that. I wanted to leave a mark in the world.”

The interview started to be tense and I realised that it was time to lightning it up by focusing on the main reason why I am profiling this light in complexion Orlando Pirates and Manchester United fan.
When we started talking about how he feels to work for one of Africa’s biggest Magazines, I just saw a million smile on his face.

Never in a million years did I think I would be working for a magazine. I always thought that when I leave newspapers I would be going to radio but here I am at Forbes Africa and actually loving it. I guess you can never predict where you going to end up.”
In 2009 Karabo was awarded Rekord Noweto Print Journalist of the year and Live@12 Broadcast Student of the Year by the Journalism Department at Tshwane University of Technology. He was also a finalist in the 2013 Standard Bank Sikuvile Journalism Awards in the category of Hard News.

With his vast experience, surely he has something to say to young aspiring journos.
“Don’t go into this profession for the money or fame, those things should be the last thing on your mind. You have a duty to inform and change people’s lives. You need to have a tough skin when you get into this industry, you must roll with the punches and be able to return them as well.”

 You can follow Karabo Ngoepe on Facebook and on Twitter @krbsean

No comments:

Post a Comment